What is "Sleep Hygiene"? Sleep Hygiene is a phrase coined by sleep researchers to list behaviors which promote good sleep. Here are some sleep hygiene tips you can use for a better night's sleep:
- Establish and maintain a regular bedtime and wake-up time every day.
- Find the amount of sleep you need to feel consistently refreshed.
- Create a comfortable, quiet, clean, and dark environment for sleeping. Your bed and the temperature of your bedroom should be comfortable.
- Establish a regular pattern of relaxing behaviors for 10-60 minutes before bedtime.
- Use the bed and bedroom for sleeping and sex only.
- Exercise on a regular basis.
- Don't nap during the day or evening.
- Don't eat heavy meals or drink large amounts of liquid before bedtime.
- Don't dwell on intense thought or feeling before bedtime.
- Don't lie awake in bed for long periods of time. If not asleep within 20-30 minutes, leave your bedroom and do something relaxing until you feel sleepy again.
- Don't allow your sleep to be disturbed by your phone, pets, family, etc.
- Don't use alcohol, caffeine, or nicotine. All of these worsen sleep.